Green tea is more than just a drink. Green tea is the holy grail for many health benefits be it for losing weight or controlling acne breakouts. Here’s why: Green tea is known for its anti-aging, soothing, and antioxidant properties, explaining the surge of green tea facial products in skincare lines. Green tea helps soothe and protect the skin, reduces sebum, and minimizes signs of aging due to its high level potency of epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG) and epicatechin gallate (ECG) with antioxidant properties. But how exactly does green tea help with all these skin concerns?
- Acne is the result of excess sebum clogging pores and stimulating bacterial growth. Sebum production can be very unpredictable as it varies from hormones and food intake that only depends on the individual
- The presence of EGCG helps reduce sebum excretions as it is anti-androgenic and lowers lipid levels. As a result green tea can slow or stop the development of acne.
- Green tea has the ability to rejuvenate dying skin cells. By protecting and repairing your cells, this antioxidant can combat signs of aging and make dull skin look healthier.
- As we age our collagen levels naturally tend to decline. However, green tea consists of vitamins like vitamin B-2, that has the ability to maintain collagen levels, which can improve the firmness of your skin.
- Green tea is a good hydrating agent as it has vitamin E that is known for its ability to hydrate the skin.
- Studies show that green tea increased skin moisture and a reduction in skin roughness when applied for a month.
All in all, individuals should consider using green tea tropically in their skin care routine as it helps protect and rejuvenate your skin. However, directly applying green tea to your face could be harmful as green tea is challenging to formulate because it is highly unstable and is easily oxidized under extreme weather. Thus, it is highly recommended for individuals to purchase green tea products specially suited for skin care when considering using it for your face. Great news is The Mineraw always has its best recommendations for individuals interested to get green tea products:
Don't forget to check out our personal best below also: